Monday, March 21, 2011

Nougat with chocolate Malt-such as in the milky way Bars


To making homemade nougat, noga was a mystery to me.  Nougat was the alien tough substance found in my least favorite candy bars.  A request to make of Galaxy cupcakes (more on that in a future post) asked me to research some nougat and ultimately myself.


I learned that while traditional nougat a candy flavoured with nuts is (per Wikipedia: "the word nougat and pan away nogat (Occitan pronunciation: [panu of ?at]), which means nutbread."), the nougat in Galaxy contains no nuts-it is a chocolate malt nougat.  It's made with proteins (such as a meringue), but with the addition of sugar, corn syrup, malted milk powder and chocolate.


Despite my dislike for milky way bars (even before I became a chocolate snob, I loved ultra-sweet candy bars), not I bought one for research purposes.  As a teenager buying condoms, I hoped that I was not spotted by someone who knew me.  Foods that I cannot be very often, they magically delicious when I create.  This was not the case with Nougat.  My homemade nougat was a spot-on match for the Galaxy nougat-sticky and nauseating sweet.  Do you like milky way bars?  You'll love this stuff!


This means that I don't like the Galaxy cupcakes?  Nope.  When I use the nougat mixed in chocolate malt cupcake batter, balance of the candy sweetness harmoniously the not-so-sweet batter. I was so happy with the results.  Give me nougat in a cupcake on nougat on its own every day!


Nougat recipe


I have the "malted milk nougat recipe from Elizabeth LaBau on About.com.  I agree below with a few minor changes and my notes reprints.
2 C granulated sugar sugar2/3 C light corn syrup2/3 C water2 ei whites2 oz chocolate1/3 C unsweetened malted milk powder 1/8 teaspoon saltLine an 8 x 8 pan with parchment.Place the sugar, corn syrup and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.Brush down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals forms (I skipped this step, but had no problems).Cook without stirring until the temperature at a candy thermometer reaches 260 f. While you are at the correct temperature wait, continue with the preparation of the rest of the recipe.Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place it in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave, stir until melted after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Stir until completely smooth, then across something cool.The protein in the clean bowl of a large stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. When the syrup reaches 250 F, begin to beat the egg whites at medium speed.Once the sugar syrup 260 F reached, take the pan from the fire. Turn the mixer to high speed and slow stream in the sugar syrup along the side of the bowl. Continue beating at high speed for about 5 minutes, until the proteins glossy white and stiff.Turn the mixer and add the melted chocolate, salt and malted milk powder. Mix until well combined and smooth. Turning off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the Bowl very well. (The nougat will have the consistency of Fun-Tak mounting Putty.)Scrape the nougat into the prepared pan and smooth in an even layer. Let it cool completely to room temperature set, cut into small squares (or sideways to use in cupcakes). The nougat can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment