Sunday, March 13, 2011

Reinventing the Lamington-the best three Lamingtons 2011

Last year, I discovered the lamington-an Aussie sponge cake or diced butter cake, dipped in chocolate, and then immersed in dessicated coconut (see the Lamington Wikipedia article for a more detailed description).  At the request of Mr p. from DeliciousDeliciousDelicious I came across his 2010 reinventing the Lamington contest and lamington cupcakes.
Bride and groom 3.0 (read my about page if you have no idea who these people are) enjoyed it so much that after declaring "Lamington love-ington", the enamel of the lamingtons grace of their wedding cupcakes selected lamingtons.

This year, I am to participate in reinventing the Lamington contest in another capacity – I'm a judge!  Mr. p. warned me that it would be difficult.  Boy, that was an understatement.  As shown in the 2011 Round-Up you can see the entries, ran the gamut of styles, from simple and whimsical to elegant gourmet concoctions.  Some posts had compelling stories to go with them and some even featured prehistoric animals.  Mr. p. said that I have to choose my favorite three.  After much internal debate (the voices in my head convened for hours), here are my selections:



Apple Streusel Lamingtons

The apple streusel lamington recipe comes from Katherine (they don't have a blog).  It is an apple-filled cake rolled in warm cream cheese frosting and a homemade streusel, which is to make the coating crisp fried.  I'm totally in love with the concept of a cake that streusel (the best part of a cake) on all sides.  Katherine's recipe is homely; It reminds me of something my grandmother would make if my grandma lamingtons. It is that I want the lamington would eat (and eat and eat) as I was fortunate enough to be at a party where it was is served.


Rehr?cken Lamingtons



Lamingtons Rehr?cken were created by Accro. Rehr?cken is an Austrian cake (the name means deer meat in German), and in his non-lamington form, it is designed to look like a piece of wild (check out the real deal).  The stitches of the slivered almonds are meant to the corpses of the strips of lard that would stick out real wild meat (tasty, right?).  I love how Accro reinvented the lamington to Rehr?cken, and in the process, reinvented the Rehr?cken.

While the Accro final product more on a medieval mace than venison, it seems if you Rehr?cken cut in half, it looks like the eyes of the poor deer you staring down just before his death.


Now, let's talk about taste.  The Rehr?cken lamingtons are chocolate nut sponge cake filled with raspberry jam, glazed with apricot jam, and then covered with chocolate hazelnut spread. That's what meat that even a vegetarian like.


S'mores Lamingtons


For my third pick, I was debating between these hard s'mores lamingtons and one of the other posts.  Suddenly, I realized that both posts were created by Curtis of Wannabe Culinarian.  That made my choice a little easier because I knew what I picked up, one I would show him the love that he deserved.

This graham cracker pound cake filled with marshmallow cream, covered with chocolate and then sprinkled with graham cracker crumbs, the all-American classic campfire treat and turns into an lamington-lovington suitable for an excellent restaurant.  If ever there was a way to the lamington to America, this would be it.


Who won?


Make sure to stop by DeliciousDeliciousDelicious to see the other participants and find out which eventually winning the Grand Prize!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment