Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Broccoli Miso soup-it's not just Miso soup with Broccoli

  If I think miso, I think of a thin Broth-a superficial salty soup served pre-sushi with a few tofu cubes (little rafts) and a number of button mushrooms (small people trying to get to the rafts).  I never think of miso as a seasoning.  Fully inspired by an apple cobbler in this month's Bon app?tit with miso streusel topping, I decided to try some unconventional applications of miso.  In this post, I will tell you about a broccoli soup seasoned with miso (it is with miso soup, but not miso soup).  Then, in a future post, I'll tell you about a miso ice cream. I will be around the series with ginger pear cupcakes with miso salted caramel.


Brocolli Miso soup


The broccoli miso soup is well salted (with no added salt) and creamy (with no milk or cream)-everything from the miso.  The miso also offers the soup with an unexpected depth of flavor.  Brocolli, carrots, onions and olive oil make a stir-fry, but the same ingredients with some miso a hearty winter soup.


I found the recipe for brocolli miso soup on well Fed. Here is the recipe as I made (I adjusted it just a little of the original):


Yield: 4 servings
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil1 medium onion, finely chopped2 carrots, finely choppeda bunch of broccoli (about 8 oz), removed from the stems, the stems with a vegetable peeler peeled and diced florets (I used brocollette, because I had it in the House.  It's one of those crazy hybrid vegetables-a cross between broccoli and kale) 4 tablespoons white miso dissolved in 1 cup of water (I used red miso) 2 bay leaves1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat.  Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom.  When the oil is hot, add the onions and carrots and cook until the onions are translucent and the carrots begin to soft, about 5 minutes.  Add the diced broccoli stems and cook for about 5 minutes, until the stems begin to soften.The broccoli florets, the dissolved miso paste and add the Bay leaves.  Add enough water to cover the florets.  Bring the water to a boil.Reduce heat and simmer for about 35 minutes or until the carrots, broccoli stalks and florets very tender. Remove the Bay leaves. With a immersion blender to puree of the contents of the pot. (You can dump the contents of the pot in a standard blender, but treat yourself to an immersion blender.  It is a great item and not too expensive.)The nutmeg and any other herbs that you want to add (I don't see the need to add anything-not even salt or pepper). Eat!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment