Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Candied Orange Peel-Pub Peels

My candied orange peel came out all wrong.  You see, I wanted the candied orange peel smooth and shiny, if small sticks of Orange covered with glass.  I my candied orange peel served in crystal and daintily eaten one by one by colleagues in cocktail dress for eyes.  I ended up with pub peels (a term I pride am coins).  My pub peels are candied orange peels that rough around the edges and more likely to be eaten by someone like me, who would do this while making  them: my good friend Twitter, Garrick_S says that this photo
makes me like Homer Simpson.What does candied orange peel taste like? if you have never had a Candied peel before, the whole concept of eating a peeling rebellious seem.  But if those who love to suck the marrow from bones of beef will tell you, sometimes food particles that you think should be thrown should actually be thrown in your mouth!  To candied citrus peel, you must first blanche de Peel four times (don't worry, I will tell you how to do this below).  It is quite time consuming (I got mine while watching a episode of glee, so the time flew) but necessary because it removes a lot of the bitterness of the Peel. They taste not nothing like they would do if you took a bite into them.  Then you are essentially making caramel and let it stick to the Peel.  You end up with a chewy, crunchy citrus caramel candy that is still a slight bitterness to cut the sweet.

Candied orange peel (and Grapefruit Peel) recipe

I have the original recipe of candied orange peel of VeganBaking.net.   Like I said above, I ended up messing up the recipe in a way that made me happy to have made the error.  Instead of the traditional smooth Candied peel which VeganBaking recipe makes, in the end I crusty caramel coated Peel.  Here is my adaptation of the recipe.
5 navel oranges1 grapefruit (you can all oranges or all grapefruit if you prefer.  You can also try this with other tangerines or grapefruit.)6 C-sugar
The fruit cut in half the and juice. (You don't have the JUICE so save to drink!)Scrape out the pulp, but let the white pith.  It should look like the fruit in the crazy picture of me, above.  The ends of the oranges cut to remove the raw components of the Peel. Cut the Peel into slices out there look like French fries.Place the orange peel slices in a large sauce pan and fill it with water so the peels fall.The Peel bring to a boil over high heat, then use a colander to drain off the water. Boil and drain of three times. Place the sugar, two cups of water and orange peels back in the sauce pan over medium heat.Apply the mixture to 250 F, stirring occasionally (if you are not a candy thermometer, just watch for the sugar to thick and caramel-like)-about thirty minutes. Keep the peels on the stove until the only in the pot fat caramel and peel-no liquidy syrup.  Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat. Get the peel of the fire with the help of Tang and place them on the prepared baking sheet or Silpat.  Allow to cool and serve as a snack or the peels for use in therapies (available soon) or panettone cut out.

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment